Solos, Duos, Trios, & Small-Groups
Here at TPDS, students must be accessed by the TPDS team to see if they are ready for a private. Teachers will then give them recommendations as to what they think the student is ready for. Registration for a private is on a first-come-first-serve basis at our Spring Registration day in June.
- If a student is not keeping up in their regular classes (groups, exams, etc) and has missed to many of their regular classes with more then 2 excused absences their private time will be used instead to catch them up on their group dances that they have missed.
- Students MUST make sure they practice at home regularly so they are prepared for their next private. Please do not wait until the night before. Putting some time away every day will help the dancer do the best they can do. Each private should be videoed at the end by dancer or parent so the child has it to practice with at home. Open studio hours are available for practicing if you do not have space at home. As well MDM stage is also available for a small charge through the town.
- Anyone performing a duo/trio/small group MUST schedule time with their partners to practice together.
- Parents must be aware of the importance of the commitment level for everyone: dancer, teacher and parent. Help facilitate a good rehearsal space while at home.
- Dancers must be enrolled in all the recommended classes for their level before they will be permitted to do a solo.
- Maintaining a proper attitude towards corrections and a positive work ethic during privates is a MUST! The instructors are trying to make your private a positive experience and for the dancer to improve technically during their private.
- Costumes, music & props will be discussed at the first private with the instructor having the final say.
- Parents need to be aware of all the costs incorporated with a solo. The cost of the private itself, cost of costume, props, competition entry fees for two competitions, travel expenses.
We allocate students a private time slot at the beginning of the year for the whole year. We do give careful consideration to ensuring the time is one that will suit the student and family based around the students’ regular class timetable. Please consider the allocated time carefully and if you believe the time won’t work for you for the whole year, please approach Miss Meagan asap and discuss and permanent switch.
There is a significant administrative burden and therefore administrative cost that we incur as a result of private slots being switched around amongst students, as they have been done in recent years. We cannot sustain that level of changes and as a result we will be penalizing those who make changes regularly. We will allow a ONE TIME CHANGE per solo without a penalty for administrative services but anything over that you will be billed a $10 admin fee per change. E.g. Solo 14 slots, you can switch or change 1. Changes still require a minimum of 48 hours’ notice.